Assistant Professor of Optical Sciences
Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Wyant College of Optical Sciences
The University of Arizona
1630 E. University Blvd.
P.O. Box 210094
Tucson, AZ 85721-0094
Specific Research Interests
- Stress-based surface shaping
- Precision engineering
- Ultrafast laser optical material processing
- Astronomical optics
The overarching goal of Chalifoux's group is to enable next-generation space telescopes by developing new methods of precision fabrication, mounting, and alignment of lightweight optics, especially mirrors. The group uses both experimental and analytical/numerical techniques to understand and improve on the behavior of these processes.
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2019
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2014
- B.S., Rice University, 2008