Wyant College of Optical Sciences
The University of Arizona
1630 E. University Blvd.
P.O. Box 210094
Tucson, AZ 85721-0094
- OPTI513R, “Optical Testing,” 2017 – present
- OPTI513L, “Optical Testing Lab,” 2020 – present
- OPTI502L, “Fundamentals of Applied Optics Laboratory,” 2013 – present
- OPTI521/OPTI421, “Introductory Opto-mechanical Engineering,” 2017, 2020
- OPTI505R, “Diffraction and Interferometry,” 2021
Specific Research Interests
- Large precision optics fabrication using computer-controlled optical surfacing process.
- Optical testing for large optical components using computer-generated holograms, laser trackers, interferometers, etc.
- Optical system design and manufacturing.
- Open-source data analysis and visualization software platform development for optical engineering.
Daewook Kim is an associate professor of optical sciences and astronomy at the University of Arizona. He has been working in the optical engineering field for more than 15 years, including NASA Aspera UV space telescope mission, 25 m diameter Giant Magellan Telescope, and commercial Augmented Reality freeform glass project. His main research area covers precision freeform optics design, fabrication, and various metrology topics, such as interferometric test systems using computer-generated hologram, wavefront curvature measurement, and dynamic deflectometry system. For the past 10 years, Daewook has been chairing conference programs including the Optical Manufacturing and Testing conference (SPIE), Optical Fabrication and Testing conference (OPTICA), and the Astronomical Optics: Design, Manufacture, and Test of Space and Ground Systems conference (SPIE). He is also teaching the SPIE Optical Testing Short Courses. He has published more than 200 journal/conference papers and served as an associate editor for the Optics Express journal for 7 years. He gave more than 20 plenary, keynote, colloquium talks at various international conferences and universities. Prof. Kim is an SPIE Fellow.
- Ph.D., Optical Sciences, The University of Arizona, 2009
- M.S., Optical Sciences, The University of Arizona, 2008
- B.S., Physics, Yonsei University (South Korea), 2003
- B.S., Astronomy, Yonsei University (South Korea), 2003