- locations: Lake Forest, California
- time type: Full time
- posted on: Posted 2 Days Ago
- job requisition id: R-2022-19141
As the global leader in eye care, Alcon has built a rich history of providing innovative products to customers and patients all over the world. We’re extremely proud of our legacy and the significant way we’ve helped to shape the industry over the last 70 years, but we’re just getting started. Our relentless passion to eliminate unmet medical needs drives our pursuit to further advance eye health worldwide. We’re looking for exceptionally talented, driven people who want to make a difference. If you’d like to help us change the way the world sees, this is your chance to Be Brilliant!
Alcon’s Opto-mechanical R&D Team is seeking an intern to assist with the following responsibilities:
- Apply knowledge of surgical instrumentation domain across a range of engineering disciplines including Mechanical, Optomechanical, Lasers, Optics, Fiber Optics, and Materials.
- Design, assembly, alignment, measurement, testing, and analysis of lasers, illumination, microscope, and related single-use laser/illumination probes.
- Generate detailed fabrication drawings including GD&T and tolerance analysis.
- Support medical device development activities such as prototyping and testing, pilot builds, and root cause analysis.
- Develop assembly and alignments fixtures for prototype fabrication and create associated processes.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited university or college for at least one semester prior to internship or co-op, and at least one additional semester following internship or co-op.
- Must be pursuing at least a Bachelors level degree in Optomechanical Engineering, Optics/Optical Engineering, Biomedical Optics/Imaging, Physics, Electrical Engineering and related majors.
- Academic performance: Minimum cumulative GPA 2.8/4.0
- Demonstrated leadership skills (i.e. extracurricular activities or projects)
- Must be authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis without requiring sponsorship (students on an F1 visa with CPT can be accommodated)
- Ability to commit to a 10-12 week, full time (40 hours per week) summer internship
- Experience with CAD Softwares, such as CREO (Pro-E) or Solidworks
- Experience with ZEMAX
- Experience or coursework related to Optical and Optomechanical design, tolerance analysis, metrology and testing practices.
- Understanding of biomedical or medical product development with Verification & Validation (V&V) and single-use device
- Team player/collaboration aptitude with strong sense of accountability
- A plus: Knowledge of Lasers, Microscope, Optics, Optomechanical, and Fiber Optics
- A plus: Knowledge of precision manufacturing techniques and familiarity with assembly of fiber optics, micro-optical and miniature optomechanical components
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.