Friday, August 12, 2022
Reference #: REF3105Z
Job Code: PDS.4 Lawrence Fellow Post Doc
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow in the prestigious High Energy Density Science (HEDS) Center that will allow you to take your skills to the next level and apply them to solving the nation's most pressing national security problems. The purpose of this fellowship is to pursue groundbreaking science and to stimulate ideas for cross fertilization. The HEDS center fellow will do creative and independent research in an aspect of High Energy Density (HED) science relevant to the competencies at LLNL. Fellows participate in experimental or theoretical work at LLNL, and will have access to LLNL's extensive computing facilities, talent pool, specialized laboratory facilities and field equipment.
The HEDS center at LLNL is a focal point for connecting experts around the world with the extensive experimental and computational capabilities at LLNL. The center’s mission is to strengthen fundamental research collaborations in the field of HED science between LLNL and the academic community. Details about LLNL’s High Energy Density Science Center may be found at: https://heds-center.llnl.gov
Applicants will need to submit their CV, research impact statement of 3-4 sentences, research proposal of no more than 6 pages, three references for letters of recommendation, and transcripts. Once you submit your application, you can go back and make updates. The deadline for application is October 3rd , 2022.
In this role you will
- Conduct research and/or development in one or more of the following areas: plasma physics, astrophysics, hydrodynamics, nuclear physics, high pressure science, warm dense matter and hot dense matter physics, strongly coupled Coulomb systems, lasers, laser-driven dynamic compression, matter and/or materials at extreme conditions, interiors of planets and exoplanets, giant impacts, or related field
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with exceptional scientists both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Nuclear Physics, Plasma Physics, Hydrodynamics, Astrophysics, Lasers, High Energy Density Science, Warm Dense Matter, Hot Dense Matter, Strongly Coupled Coulomb Systems, High Pressure Science, Laser-driven Dynamic Compression, Matter and/or Materials at Extreme Conditions, Interiors of Planets and Exoplanets, Giant Impacts, or related field.
- Experience in experimental, computational or theoretical physics in one of the following areas: nuclear physics, plasma physics, hydrodynamics, astrophysics, lasers, High Energy Density Science, warm dense matter, hot dense matter, strongly coupled coulomb systems, high pressure science, laser-driven dynamic compression, matter and/or materials at extreme conditions, interiors of planets and exoplanets, giant impacts, or related field.
- Demonstrated creativity, exceptional ability, and proven accomplishments in applicant's area of specialization.
- Demonstrated ability as an innovative theorist and/or experimentalist with a broad range of experience in design, techniques and execution.
- Demonstrated ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
- Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Click here to apply