Monday, August 8, 2022
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Additive Manufacturing Optical & Controls Engineer to support the development of next generation tools & systems for Additive Manufacturing / 3D printing. You will independently develop, build, test, troubleshoot and maintain instrumentation systems implementing optical stereolithography, volume additive manufacturing, laser-based material processing, etc. This position is located in the Ultrafast Optical & Electronics Systems Group within the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop, build, and test Additive Manufacturing (AM) tools, instrumentation, and systems.
- Use computer-assisted design tools to configure, analyze, and evaluate optical systems.
- Maintain, upgrade and design hardware for AM tools.
- Maintain, upgrade, and design controls software using platforms such as LabView, python and similar tools.
- Troubleshoot and maintain existing systems supporting internal customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Design new hardware for existing Additive Manufacturing systems under limited direction.
- Design new advanced Additive Manufacturing systems.
- Develop controls software in support of new and existing Additive Manufacturing systems.
- Troubleshoot and maintain existing systems supporting internal and external customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical or Electrical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Fundamental problem solving, troubleshooting, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently anticipate, analyze, advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions to complex technical challenges.
- Sufficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to author technical reports and publications, deliver presentations, and interact with a diverse group.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Broad experience in developing controls software.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment in scientific or engineering research and development.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in building, troubleshooting, and maintaining optical, lithographic, and laser-based systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in developing controls software.
- Experience planning and directing work with technical objectives, estimating effort, setting milestones, and managing within designated budget.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Optical or Electrical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with ray-tracing or Fourier-based optical design tools.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in building, troubleshooting, and maintaining optical, lithographic, and laser-based systems.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in developing controls software.
- Proficiency with CAD software.
- Experience with machine design and building
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.