JOB ID: 616344BR
Date posted: Nov. 15, 2022
Locations: Littleton, Colorado
Description:Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration? Do you like seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then you should join Lockheed Martin Space’s Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for space applications as a Senior Electro-Optical Systems Engineer!
OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members integrate authorities across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group.
We are looking for someone with a strong background in optical engineering and small technical team leadership to lead production, assembly, integration, and test of optical payloads for missile and space applications. You should demonstrate effective verbal communication, develop concise and professional technical presentations, and deliver briefings to peers, leadership, and customers.
As a Senior Electro-Optical Systems Engineer, you will:
• Lead a small optical engineering team as the Certified Principal Engineer (CPE) for the build and test of prototype or high TRL optical sensor hardware
• Perform optical analysis to determine ability of designed optical systems to meet specifications
• Work with Systems Engineering to perform system level design and decomposition into optical system requirements
• Participate in studies and system trades for enhanced capabilities
• Lead development of materials for program technical reviews and present data throughout the product development and maturation processes to assure the customer that the optical payloads and optical components with specific characteristics are within specified requirements and will perform according to specifications
• Procure optical components to specification to meet performance goals of an optical system
• Lead development of build documents, hardware assembly, integration, test planning, and test execution of optical systems
• Report progress periodically to program leadership and external customers.
• Support spacecraft integration within a program coordinating across multiple disciplines to ensure requirements verification
• Participate in failure investigations and anomaly resolution boards
• Work with Certified Principal Engineers (CPEs), Responsible System Engineers (RSEs), designers, and test engineers to ensure smooth integration at the system level
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 5-10 years of professional experience, a Masters degree and 3-8 years, or a related PhD and 0-5 years; or equivalent experience/combined education.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
• Experience fabricating, designing, or fielding tactical or space-based optical systems and relevant performance parameters
• Experience with integration, test, characterization, and/or verification of optical systems
• Bachelors degree in optical engineering, physics, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Active Top Secret security clearance or equivalent
• Active TS/SCI security clearance
• Experience in optical theory and design including geometrical optics, physical optics, Fourier optics, radiometry, interferometry, and adaptive optics
• Ability to design optical systems using Zemax or Code V
• Ability to perform stray light analysis using FRED
• Knowledge of how to design optical systems for space flight
• Certified Principal Engineer (CPE) certification
• Experience deriving requirements and writing specifications for optical systems based on customer requirements
• Experience in the development of verification plans and performance of verification allowing successful sell-off of optical hardware
• Experience writing specification and statements of work and successful procurement of optical components
• Opportunity for growth into optical payload system integrator and Subsystem RSE role
• Experience working with other SV subsystems to ensure requirements meet overall mission CONOPs
• Experience with MGSE and EGSE for verification of optical payload alignment and calibration requirements
• Demonstrated ability to perform environmental tests on optical system including vibration testing, thermal vacuum testing, and performance testing.
• Demonstrated ability to lead a technical team through build and test of optical hardware for a space flight program.
Security Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.
Clearance Level: TS/SCI w/Poly
Other Important Information You Should KnowExpression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.
The annual base salary range for this position in Colorado or Washington is $87,000 - $166,800 . Please note that the salary information is a general guideline only. Lockheed Martin considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/ training, key skills as well as market and business considerations when extending an offer.
Benefits offered: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, 401(k) match, Flexible Spending Accounts, EAP, Education Assistance, Parental Leave, Paid time off, and Holidays.
(Washington state applicants only) Non-represented full time employees: accrue 10 hours per month of Paid Time Off (PTO); receive 40 hours of Granted PTO annually for incidental absences; receive at least 90 hours for holidays. Represented full time employees accrue 6.67 hours of PTO per month; accrue up to 52 hours of sick leave annually; receive at least 96 hours for holidays. PTO is prorated based on hours worked and start date during the calendar year.
This position is incentive plan eligible."
Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.
Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.
Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday off
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Electro-Optical Engineering