Photonics - Postdoctoral Researcher | Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Reference #: REF1805D
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$108,600 - $126,720 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher within the Ultrafast Optical & Electronic Systems Group. The group consists of a diverse team of scientists and engineers with expertise in photonics, nonlinear and ultrafast optics, and high-speed RF electronics. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: photonics, nonlinear optics, ultrafast pulse shaping and diagnostics, high-speed / ultra-wideband RF electronics, photonic A/D and D/A conversion, photonic integrated circuits, and digital signal processing.
- Design, model, build, implement, and analyze systems in one or more of the above areas.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research to the team.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Physics, Optics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: photonics, nonlinear optics, ultrafast pulse shaping and diagnostics, high-speed / ultra-wideband RF electronics, photonic A/D and D/A conversion, integrated photonics, mixed signal circuits, wireless communications, radar, digital signal processing, and machine learning.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with ultrafast laser sources, diagnostics, high-speed RF instrumentation, fiber optic devices and systems.
- Experience constructing and aligning optical imaging, relaying, cavity setups.
- Experience building hybrid optical and electronic systems.
- Experience with Matlab software.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.