Location: San Diego, CA, US, 92127
DRS Daylight Solutions business provides industry-changing mid-infrared laser light technology for government and commercial markets, including: defense and security; life sciences; and industrial process control. As a mid-IR technology pioneer, Daylight Solutions has delivered more mid-IR systems to more applications world-wide than any other company.
At DRS Daylight Solutions, you will be eligible for competitive pay, great benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k match, 9/80 work schedule, and Tuition Assistance. Our Daylight family-oriented culture allows you to receive hands-on training, professional development, career advancement and exposure to the latest and greatest technology, where our motto is "To Protect with Light". Come join the family!
The Opto-Mechanical Engineer at Daylight will be responsible for supporting the design and analysis of laser products, tools and fixtures. They should have a strong understanding of robust opto-mechanical design practices including precision mechanism, kinematics, lasers, and thermal control. They will support the design, analysis, documentation and testing of optical/laser products, systems, and/or subsystems. Working with a multi-disciplinary design team, they will execute on optical and mechanical modeling, prototyping, calculations, FEA, and testing. The successful candidate would be able to compile/review data and perform both optical and mechanical analyses (hand calculations, FEA, STOP) to make design decisions and implement them in CAD/Documentation. Along with design, they will conduct formal reviews, support failure analyses and proposals. They should additionally be able to work independently, be flexible, and be receptive to ideas and feedback.
- Uses computer-aided engineering or other design/analysis software in the performance of assignments. Ability to work independently, regular reporting of progress and status
- Design, develop, analyze, document and support testing of robust, precision opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Engineering analysis to understand how loads and environmental factors affect performance (tolerance stack, thermal and structural, optical) using appropriate tools for the job.
- Uses Engineering tools such as CAD, Optical Modeling and FEA to design
- Design and setup optical metrology and perform engineering tests and design of experiments
- Sets up, develops steps, and executes optical alignments.
- Involved in the initial build and bring up of engineering prototype products
- Hands-on prototyping, assembly, instrumentation, and test for characterization of design intent
- Process development to ensure design intent and manufacturability
- Hands-on troubleshooting and root cause analysis using engineering/physics principles
- Responsible for completion of assigned task on time and meeting technical requirements
- Participating in design reviews and clearly articulating design concepts
- Provides regular reporting of progress and status
- Ability to work independently under supervision of others
- Purchasing, fabricating, and building of hardware. Writing ECO’s and manufacturing work instructions
- Develop, purchase, fabricate and build prototypes to retire key development risks
- Communicate clearly (written and oral) with other company personnel and the customer as required; documenting analysis, test results, and designs reviews.
- Designing and executing engineering tests and experiments.
- Support root cause analysis on failures
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
Our ideal candidate will have
- Ability to apply engineering principles and techniques to solve a variety of problems
- Willingness to produce complete, accurate, readable mechanical drawings per industry standards
- Ability to use engineering test and optical lab equipment
- Experience with optical modeling software; Zemax preferred.
- Experience with CAD software package; Solidworks and PDMWorks preferred.
- Experience with FEA package; ANSYS Structural and Icepak preferred.
- Fluency in technologies and application domain
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance
- Specialties may include:
- Optical: Involved with the overall development of optical systems. Coordinates with hardware and software design teams in selecting and qualifying optical components. Develops performance models and test procedures
- Mechanical: Involved with the design, fabrication and modification of mechanical and/or electro mechanical components, sub-systems and systems. May include Mechanical Analysis, Aerodynamics/Fluids, Thermal, Fluid Systems, Mechanical Packaging, or others. Evaluates and recommends design approaches to meet production requirements for new or improved products or services. Investigates solutions to product or process problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field or equivalent experience and a minimum of 2 years of experience, preferably in opto-mechanical, precision mechanism or rugged electro-mechanical packaging.
- Competent technical expertise and application domain knowledge
The pay scale for this position is $92,789/year - $132,689/year. The pay scale information is a general guideline only. When extending an offer of employment, DRS Daylight Solutions considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position; any Federal Government contract labor categories and contract wage rates, the candidate’s relevant work experience, education/training, certifications, and key skills; internal equity; and market and business considerations.
Leonardo DRS, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. #LI-SF1