JOB ID: 622168BR
Date posted: Nov. 22, 2022
Locations: Louisville, Colorado; Sunnyvale, California
Description:Our outstanding people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to design and build solutions to some of the world's most challenging engineering problems. Are you passionate about optical engineering for space applications and leading teams in excellent program execution? Then you should join Lockheed Martin Space's Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) as a Senior Staff Optical Engineer!
We are looking for someone with a strong background in optical engineering and technical team leadership to lead an optical payload product team from program planning at ATP, into design reviews, through assembly and integration, through test, and to the hardware sell-off review for delivery. You’ll be the team’s expert on optical systems engineering, optical procurement, optical assembly, optical alignment, and/or optical test and you’ll work with the OPCOE experts to solve execution problems. This role requires systems engineering skills to be able to capture requirements capture and decompose them into the optical system requirements. The person in this role will lead a small, excellent team of dedicated engineers and coordinate with other IPT Leads, systems engineers, and program management.
You should have previous experience working in space programs which have fielded optical systems so that you are the expert and the mentor for the team. You will need broad skills in aerospace such as knowledge of focal plane arrays, electronics, manufacturing, contamination, structural engineering, and thermal analysis. You will need project engineering skills, an ability to work with a large technical team, and strong technical presentation skills.
As a Senior Staff Optical Systems Engineer, you will:
• Lead a small optical engineering team of Certified Product Engineers (CPEs) as the Integrated Product Team Lead (IPT Lead) for the build and test of prototype or high TRL optical sensor hardware.
• Perform optical analysis to determine ability of designed optical systems to meet specifications
• Work with Systems Engineering to perform system level design and decomposition into optical system requirements
• Participate in studies and system trades for enhanced capabilities
• Lead development of materials for program technical reviews and present data throughout the product development and maturation processes to assure the customer that the optical payloads and optical components with specific characteristics are within specified requirements and will perform according to specifications
• Procure optical components to specification to meet performance goals of an optical system
• Lead development of build documents, hardware assembly, integration, test planning, and test execution of optical systems
• Report progress periodically to program leadership and external customers.
• Participate in failure investigations and anomaly resolution boards
• Work with Certified Principal Engineers (CPEs), Responsible System Engineers (RSEs), designers, and test engineers to ensure smooth integration at the system level
• Experience fabricating, designing, or fielding tactical or space-based optical systems and relevant performance parameters
• Experience with integration, test, characterization, and/or verification of optical systems
• Bachelor’s degree in optical engineering, physics, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Active TS clearance or equivalent
• Active TS/SCI security clearance
• Experience in optical engineering including geometrical optics, instrumental optics, optical design, physical optics, radiometry, interferometry, and adaptive optics
• Experience deriving requirements and writing specifications for optical systems based on customer requirements
• Experience writing specification and statements of work and successful procurement of optical components for space flight programs
• Experience developing ground support equipment for alignment and aligning optical systems and performing radiometric performance validation measurements for space flight programs
• Demonstrated ability to perform environmental tests on optical system including vibration testing, thermal vacuum testing, and performance testing.
• Experience in the development of verification plans and performance of verification allowing successful sell-off of optical hardware
• Experience working with other SV subsystems to ensure requirements meet overall mission CONOPs
• Certified Principal Engineer (CPE) certification
• Demonstrated ability to lead a technical team through procurement, build, test, and sell-off of optical hardware for a space flight program.
Security Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.
Clearance Level: TS/SCI
Other Important Information You Should Know
Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.
The annual base salary range for this position in Colorado or Washington is $127,700 - $244,600 . Please note that the salary information is a general guideline only. Lockheed Martin considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/ training, key skills as well as market and business considerations when extending an offer.
Benefits offered: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, 401(k) match, Flexible Spending Accounts, EAP, Education Assistance, Parental Leave, Paid time off, and Holidays.
(Washington state applicants only) Non-represented full time employees: accrue 10 hours per month of Paid Time Off (PTO); receive 40 hours of Granted PTO annually for incidental absences; receive at least 90 hours for holidays. Represented full time employees accrue 6.67 hours of PTO per month; accrue up to 52 hours of sick leave annually; receive at least 96 hours for holidays. PTO is prorated based on hours worked and start date during the calendar year.
This position is incentive plan eligible."
Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.
Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.
Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday off
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Electro-Optical Engineering