Date: Jan 19, 2023
Location: Corning, NY, US, 14831
Requisition Number: 59644
Corning is vital to progress – in the industries we help shape and in the world we share.
We invent life-changing technologies using materials science. Our scientific and manufacturing expertise, boundless curiosity, and commitment to purposeful invention place us at the center of the way the world interacts, works, learns, and lives.
Our sustained investment in research, development, and invention means we’re always ready to solve the toughest challenges alongside our customers.
Scope of Position:
Under the supervision of a development scientist:
- Apply first-principles knowledge to understand the key parameters determining the performance of novel optical fiber-to-fiber or fiber-to-photonics integrated circuit connecting structures
- Use such understanding to improve the design of the connections and the processes to make them
- Develop characterization techniques to measure the key parameters and/or the performance of the connections
- Study the impact of integrating optical fiber & cable into high-bandwidth switches
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develop experiment plans and execute them
- Derive actionable conclusions through the application of rigorous science and engineering
- Take ownership of the quality and timeliness of assigned tasks.
- Document and present test results
- Make learning a priority
Travel Requirements: Minimal travel. May have occasional visits to manufacturing plants.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 40 hours per week.
- Flexible start and end time, but from the end of May to the middle of August
Education and Experience: Current MS or PhD student in Physics, Optics or closely related field
- Strong analytical skills
- Skills and knowledge in hands-on laboratory work in optics AND/OR in computational modeling of physical systems
- Strong understanding of optics
- Scientific curiosity
Desired Skills: Prior experience with optical fibers (experimental and/or theoretical) and/or lab automation.
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Positive professional attitude and willingness to learn
- Goal and results oriented. High level of attention to detail
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Corning