Reference #: REF3499B
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$6,200.00 - $7,520.00 Monthly
This position is under a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by your most recent completed academic year.
The National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate has multiple openings for graduate level students and students who have received a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. You will have research opportunities in a large array of fields such as lasers, laser-plasma physics, electro-optics, software development, and optical, x-ray and nuclear instrument development and testing. For more information, please visit https://lasers.llnl.gov/education/summer-scholar. References will be required.
In this role you will
- Work alongside scientists doing work and research at onsite laser and nuclear facilities in the areas of advanced laser development, laser plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, material science, radiation physics and various advanced diagnostic systems.
- Conduct research (experimental, theoretical or modeling) in assigned area under limited supervision.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Communicate research results: document work, present and discuss findings.
- Attend relevant seminars and prepare a poster for the Student Intern Poster Symposium.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a college or university student with a completed Bachelor’s degree in good academic standing and in an accredited institution pursuing a higher level degree in engineering, physics, or a related field.
- Exposure through coursework or relevant experience with tools associated to your field of study. For experimental work this can include data reduction and manipulation, image processing, computer-aided drafting, or similar; for theoretical/computational work this includes numerical methods and scientific programming languages (Python, MATLAB, etc.).
- A sustained record of outstanding academic performance.
- Ability to work full time for ten to twelve weeks during the summer months.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with computers and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Prior experience in physics or engineering laboratory settings for experimental assignments and in cluster/high performance computing or plasma physics codes for computational assignments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.