Date: Mar 8, 2023
Location: Corning, NY, US, 14831
Requisition Number: 60149
Corning is vital to progress – in the industries we help shape and in the world we share.
We invent life-changing technologies using materials science. Our scientific and manufacturing expertise, boundless curiosity, and commitment to purposeful invention place us at the center of the way the world interacts, works, learns, and lives.
Our sustained investment in research, development, and invention means we’re always ready to solve the toughest challenges alongside our customers.
Corning is vital to progress – in the industries we help shape and in the world we share. We invent life-changing technologies using materials science. Our scientific and manufacturing expertise, boundless curiosity, and commitment to purposeful invention place us at the center of the way the world interacts, works, learns, and lives. Our sustained investment in research, development, and invention means we’re always ready to solve the toughest challenges alongside our customers. Corning’s businesses are ever evolving to best serve our customers, industries, and consumers. Today, we accelerate and transform life sciences, mobile consumer electronics, optical communications, display, and automotive markets.
Corning Advanced Optics is an industry leader in the manufacture of high precision optical systems for lithography and inspection applications, metrology measurement tools and laser components.
This is an exciting company with complete in-house design engineering, fabrication, and testing disciplines.
Description: Summer development intern position to support the development and engineering of world-class optical materials and components. This is a dynamic position for an individual to work as part of Corning Advanced Optics’ Development team. Focus will be to work on Accelerated Laser Damage Testing (ALDT) of optical materials and components including automation of test benches, installing and operating new laser systems and researching root causes of optical damage. Responsibilities include optical design/engineering, laser assembly and alignment, process automation and literature searches.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Assist scientists and technicians with day-to-day laser damage testing and data analysis.
- Assemble and align a Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) laser to make it operational for experiments.
- Automate existing test equipment to extend the capability of the ALDT lab.
- Research literature to further the fundamental understanding of observed laser damage mechanisms.
- Consult or collaborate with other subject matter experts across various business units, from research to manufacturing.
- Document system designs and results; generate reports.
- Make technical internal and external presentations to team members and the R&D community.
- Lab organization and the ordering of components or equipment.
- Adhere to laboratory safety protocols.
Education & Experience:
- BS or MS Candidate in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics
- Coursework in Electrical and/or Optical Engineering, Physics and Chemistry
- Working knowledge of lasers, optics, optical properties of materials, opto-mechanics and translation stages.
- Experience with assembling and aligning free space optics.
- Experience with automation of lab equipment.
- Working knowledge of light-matter interactions
- Mechanical design and assembly of prototypes.
- Experience in numerical analysis techniques including optical modeling
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Self-starter: flexibility to handle a mix of activities with a very high level of independence.
- Interpersonal skills – open, engaging, enables others.
Duration: Summer 2023, 8-12 weeks
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.