Reference #: REF3468X
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00 - $166,992.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $200,328.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for experienced Pulsed Power Engineers to support the National Ignition Facility (NIF). NIF’s laser is the world’s highest energy pulsed laser system, capable of producing over 1.8 MJ of optical energy. Many of NIF’s subsystems have pulsed power technologies at their core. You will be responsible for the engineering design and development of new pulsed power and power electronics hardware and for system upgrades to continually improve performance and reliability. You will also provide engineering expertise to the operations and maintenance staff for NIF’s 400 MJ flashlamp power supplies, as well as its state-of-the-art Plasma Electrode Pockels Cell (PEPC) systems. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide engineering solutions and design capability to ensure the reliable and safe operation of the pulsed power systems on NIF.
- Develop pulsed power and power electronics hardware for state-of-the-art laser systems.
- Develop and design improved high voltage solid-state pulse generators for the multi-pulse ARC PEPC (Advanced Radiography Capability/Plasma Electrode Pockels Cell) system.
- Develop, design, and deploy a pulsed power system that will enable the application of large (~50 T) magnetic field to NIF targets.
- Develop, design, and deploy solid-state pulsed power for high-average-Power Laser-Diode arrays.
- Develop, maintain, and present metrics for system reliability and performance, and use those metrics to drive investments in system improvements.
- Analyze and model/simulate the electrical performance of system components under dynamic electrical loads and/or harsh electromagnetic interference conditions.
- Adhere to the highest standards of personnel and facility safety in performing tests and experiments.
- Document activities and results in formal reports; present the results for peer reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Lead and/or participate in multi-disciplinary design/peer reviews of work to ensure that the experiments/tests, hardware, and data acquisition systems are safe, and the experimental designs are technically sound.
- Provide technical guidance to external contractors fabricating customized electrical equipment, and experimental assemblies for experimental programs.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and broad experience with high voltage/pulsed power systems, including prime power.
- Comprehensive knowledge and proficiency in one or more of the following areas: pulsed power, power modulation/switching, grounding, and shielding in a harsh EMI environment, or diagnostics/instrumentation systems associated with these areas.
- Broad experience designing, building, testing, and operating high-voltage pulsed-power systems.
- Broad experience and proficiency in performing computational modeling and analysis to understand and predict system performance using SPICE, MathCad, and/or Maxwell modeling tools.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment managing multiple tasks, projects, and priorities.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Master’s degree in Electronics Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience in high voltage/pulsed power systems, including prime power and significant experience designing, building, testing, and operating high-voltage pulsed-power systems, as well as significant experience leading design reviews.
Qualifications We Desire
- Understanding of high-power switched mode power supply design and implementation.
- Experience with high-speed and/or high-power electronics pulsed laser systems.
- Experience with the generation and measurement of large, transient magnetic field and understanding of circuit breaker/fuse coordination.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.